Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Last Tuesday my employer, Memorial Sloan Kettering had a large RIF (Reduction In Force). After 34 years of loyal service, I was one of the people that received an email that morning that started "We regret to inform you that today will be your last day of employment. Your position has been eliminated." We knew this was coming since late November, but I can honestly say I never thought that I would even be considered after all the successful projects I have been involved in over the years. With 34 years under my belt I was given a very good severance package. Many of my immediate colleagues who have only been there 1-2 years were not so blessed. Our department increased staff 6X over the last year as part of Digital Transformation so it should have been no surprise that an eventual cut back would have to occur. On the plus side I get to spend more time with my grandkids and do the things I enjoy. Maybe I'll join a theater group or brush off my magic act for some extra $. It is still hard to accept that a place you spent a lifetime serving suddenly cuts ties with you as if everything you did means nothing. Luckily my co-workers and family, who were also shocked, offered kind words of encouragement that helped me through it. I may even get an unofficial retirement party from some co-workers that want to see me for a real farewell. For now the grandkids get the benefit of more Papa time.

No comments: