Saturday, November 17, 2007

Problem with Quote and Single Quote in Ubuntu

Thought I'd post this so it may save someone else the time it just took me to solve this.  Have Ubuntu running on a Dell Dimensions 2400, using a Compaq keyboard.  In order to type the quote character " or the single quote character ', I had to hit the keys twice.  the first time nothing would appear.  And even after hitting the key twice what appeared was more like the tick character `.

Finally found a solution that did the trick.

Go to System -> Preferences -> Keyboard, switch to the Layouts tab. I had the "US English International" layout (apparently this is the problem). Click Add and select "US English". It's strange because it looks like it's a group, not an actual layout, but you can select it individually. Click OK and then apply the changes.

No comments: